Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Lydia, Oh Lydia, Oh have you met Lydia?

Hello friends. My SL and my RL took a quantum jump closer to each other a couple nights ago as I met up with a friend of mine from the old college days in SL. It seems she has been playing SL about as long as I have. Her SL name is Lydia, and her real life persona is as sweet and wonderful as anyone.


A couple of weeks ago I (the Real life I) started an account with facebook. I had an account with myspace, and it seemed to become very quiet. Some of my friends said "we're on facebook more often" so I decided to give it a spin. Iwas absolutely amazed at how easy it was to connect with old friends and classmates that I hadn't seen in decades. I quickly racked up a list of old and current friends and touched base with many from my past. On facebook right now is a popular note titled "25 things about me" in which you do just that.. write down 25 thing about yourself. One of these for me was that I play Second Life. One of my friends sent me a message stating that she does as well. After a few messages back and forth, we agreed to meet inworld.


I was rather nervous about this. When I was in college, I was studying technical theatre, and I did some acting as well. She was studying to be a stage manager, so we got toknoweach other pretty well. In fact I had asked her out on a date even, to a friend's wedding. At the time, I thought I was straight and so forth, and everyone who knew me knew me a straight. So when I agreed to meet her. I had to explain my very gay profile. And I did.


And guess what? the world didn't end. lol.. She was understanding and so forth, as a true friend can be. We talked about our real lives, our careers, and our Second Lives and we had a wonderful time chatting it up. I looked at her profile, and went to one of her Picks places, a place that sells musical instrument.. Very good ones too. I bought a guitar. After I go inworld tonight, I'll make note of which one it was and post it here, because right now I can't remember. I do recommend the place.



The next night (last night) I chose to not contact her. I felt as if my brain might short circuit with all recent floods of memories coming back on me. I sent her a message via fb about this, and she said her sentiments were the same. I guess finding me online was just as surprising for her.


Anyway. My SL is now one dimension closer to my RL, and that's weird. But there are many weird things nowadays, so I'm taking it in good course.

2 comments:

Rammy said...

Hi Leigh - I was thinking you may have gotten a tattoo. Did you know your links to facebook and MS have too many http's in them? See you later friend - take care.

Leigh Eel said...

ok thanks, Rammy.. I tried to edit them, tell me if they work?